Week 5

This week I tried experimenting with cold and hot water to see if it made a difference. It seemed the colour was relatively the same, however the soapstone seemed easier to carve after being dipped in hot water. It also was more convinient to have a big bucket of warm water and dip the soapstone in every now and then.

Trying to copy the video was relatively easier once I started to dip the soapstone in hot water consistently. The stone was more malliable and easier to carve. I tried to add some depth into the stone and it worked fairly well. However the right and left side aren’t perfectly symmetrical. I don’t know how people make it fully symmetrical, might be something I try to find out next week.

I found the first level of sandpaper that removes the bigger scratch marks, currently the other 2 are pretty hard to find. I’ll try to make a trip the the soapstone store to see if they restocked. My tools currently aren’t that high tech, just some random tools around the house, so I might pick up some of the recommended tools while I’m looking for the sandpaper.

The mark to the left of the bear, was something I wanted to try, the stomach of the bear is easier to carve the hotter the water is.